[Techtalk] X doesn't start after Xfree86 upgrade

Robyn Manning rmanning at adam.com.au
Wed Aug 13 23:10:26 EST 2003

Hi

Did you keep a copy of your old XF86Config file. Check out
/var/log/XFree86.0.log or /home/your user/.xsession-errors or you could
start kdm or xdm these need to be started as root.

If your Linux boots straight into 'X', press 'Ctrl' 'Alt' and 'F2' to
get to a console. Log in as root. Now be careful. Use your text editor
to edit /etc/inittab there is a line near the top that needs to be

id:3:initdefault:

save and exit your editor. Restart your Linux (don't know if   telinit 3
would work here instead of restarting).

There's a configuration file somewhere that starts either gnomesession
or startke, these are started after 'X' has started which is where
you're getting to with the grey screen.

Robyn

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 17:39, showercurtain wrote:
> X won't start after I installed Xfree86 4.3 on my computer. Instead I
> get a grey screen with a small window in the bottom RH corner that
> keeps printing "console logging for rgveda.localdomain". If I type
> restartX in the console, I get the message: "Server already active
> for display 0".  I've looked at the xf86config file and the settings
> for the video card and monitor seem to be ok. This couldn't have
> happened at a worse possible time  because I have an web design
> assignment due! What should I do?
>
> Thanks!
> Berenice

You are slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.