[Techtalk] trying to find a question that _is_ "too dumb"

perimorph perimorph at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 12 22:09:38 EST 2003

So many answers!  Eek!

I've decided to go with "Superuser's Somewhat-Static Special Secret
System Binaries".  ;)

> Yup, exactly right. Or at least, they *should* only be run by root. Most of
> the time, /sbin (and /usr/sbin and /usr/local/sbin) shouldn't even be in a
> non-root user's $PATH.

At least I finally understand why I have to give a full path to use sbin
programs when I su to root..  Since the shell doesn't load root's shell
config files (bash.rc or something like that), the path never gets set,
does it?  Thanks Kai.  :)

I had considered that the "s" stood for "system", but it never made
sense to me until now..  Still, it's ironic to have an sbin under the
usr directory when users typically wouldn't use those programs.  Maybe
it still doesn't make sense to me...?

--ash