[Techtalk] sendmail config questions

Dennis Wheeler wheelers at eskimo.com
Sat Aug 9 00:26:54 EST 2003

Hello ladies (and gentlemen),

I haven't been following this list for a while, but now I'm starting a new
job and may have bitten off more than I can chew. I'm an idiot and don't
know enough about configuring and verifying sendmail, yet. I would
appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

I've got a remote server running RH 7.1 and sendmail 8.9 (I think)

I suspect it might be an open relay, so I need to 1) turn that off if
it is and 2) verfiy that's it's not afterwards.

It is accepting messages now, but they are just being queued and not
delivered. They are running an exchange server that their clients are
accessing via pop (again, I'm not sure here), but I don't see where the
mail is being forwarded from the linux server to the nt server.

And their internal domain name is different from their external domain
name. I tried sending a test message and eventually got an warning
response "Could not send for 4 hours", with a name sever timeout error, so
I'm suspecting this domain name difference may be the problem. They're
running an internal DNS on the same nt server as their exchange server, so
I don't quite know how to query and/or modify it remotely

I'm currently reading RedHat's sendmail howto and lots of stuff on
sendmail.org. But there's so much, I'm getting lost.

I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks,
Dennis