[Techtalk] lpd won't start

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 20:02:06 EST 2003

I am running RedHat 8.0.  Since yesterday, whenever I boot up, or any
time I try to start lpd, I get

lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

If I remove all printers lpd starts OK, but as soon as I install a
printer - even generic postscript - I get this error when lpd tries to
start.

netstat -anp shows nothing else using port 515.

I tried changing from LPRng to cups, but that didn't change the
situation.

Can anybody think what I need to do to get my printing back?

Incidentally, the last thing that I did before this problem appeared
was to add a second printer.  I already had my HP4 on /dev/lp0 driven
using the generic postscript driver, but decided to try setting it up
as an actual HP4 using the 'omni' driver.  This 'second printer', of
course, was also on /dev/lp0.

David