[Techtalk] re: Samba help

Raj Shekhar rajshekhar3007 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Aug 1 16:57:28 EST 2003

Tracie Edelson writes
> I can see the samba server in Network Neighborhood but any attempt
> to view shares or connect to shares results in errors: the computer
is
> not available, network error 59...I am not sure what else to test?

If u search the microsoft site for error 59, this is what it has to
say

--Start quote--
Error 59 When Changing Password with NET PASSWORD Command

    * Microsoft Windows 98
    * Microsoft Windows 95

CAUSE
This behavior occurs if the client does not contact the primary
domain controller (PDC). When the NET PASSWORD command is used on a
Windows 95/98 computer, the computer incorrectly attempts to resolve
a NetBIOS domainname entry, rather than the appropriate
domainnameentry.

MORE INFORMATION
Clients must contact the PDC to change a password. The most common
problem that occurs when you attempt to change your password is that
the name of the PDC is incorrectly resolved. This is usually done
with a query for the domainname[1B] entry, and is often unsuccessful
if the PDC is not on the same subnet as the client and an Lmhosts
file or Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) server is not correctly
implemented. However, this problem usually results in an error
message similar to the following example:

Last Reviewed:	8/6/2002
Keywords:	kbprb KB237433

--End quote--

Someone on the list suggested that Tracie should look into smbpasswd.
But I do not think it is a problem. In case auser is not found Samba
says ACCESS_DENIED (or something similar)

Regards,
Raj Shekhar

=====
Give credit where credit is due.  Linux is just the kernel. Without the efforts of people involved with the GNU project the Linux kernel would not be very useful to most people.See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html to know more