[Techtalk] Re: Considering an OS change

Tammy Cravit tammy.lists at warmfuzzy.com
Fri Apr 18 16:30:52 EST 2003

> i believe that DOS and the mac OS were all based on unix,
> anyway, correct?

In my recollection, MacOS before OS X was based on experimental technology
developed by Xerox PARC that I don't think ever came to market. DOS was
mostly based on CP/M, and Windows 3.x/95/98 were also based on the original
windowing technology from Xerox PARC. Windows NT/2000/XP were based mostly
on VMS (I have a friend who described Windows NT as "OpenVMS with a GUI").
MacOS X has been based on two different versions of UNIX -- first on Mach,
and I think more recently on FreeBSD.

Tammy