[Techtalk] Mutt 1.4.1i

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Apr 17 22:21:14 EST 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003, anti tanvir wrote:
> I have two problems with mutt. While sending mail Mutt says message
> sent successfully but the msg does not go to the intended
> recepient...and the /var/log/maillog says:
>
> Apr 17 22:05:13 localhost sendmail[916]: h3I45ALK100519:
> to=anti_tanvir at yahoo.co.uk, ctladdr=anti_tanvir at yahoo.co.uk (501/501),
> delay=00:00:03, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=relay, pri=30272,
> relay=localhost.localdomain. [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred:
> Connection refused by localhost.localdomain.

Which MTA do you have installed and how did you configure it? It sounds
like your MTA is trying to do something like this:

 - Look at mail
 - Realise this mail is not for this host
 - Relay it to other SMTP server
 - However: relay server is set to localhost
 - Try to send mail to self via port 25 for relaying.
 - This mail server has never opened port 25, so this fails.

You need to tell it an upstream host to use as a relay (your ISP's mail
server, normally) instead of using localhost. The way you do this
depends on your MTA.

> The second problem is that fetchmail does not d.load mails that have
> already been read in the web...

You may need to pass the following flags to it: -K (do not keep
messages) and -a (fetch read messages).

If you're using a ~/.fetchmailrc, the equivalent options are "fetchall"
and "nokeep"

-Mary