Electrical hacking (was Re: [Techtalk] [OT] charging USBdevicewithout a PC)

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Mon Apr 14 20:18:33 EST 2003

> In an attempt at ego-repairing, I tried hard to come up with anything
> that would - even remotely - resemble an electrically conductive oily
> substance. Yet my investigations failed [0].

Many oils have conductive materials added to them that add lubrication
at different temperatures, in particular: carbon (in the form of
graphite). It is generally the additives that cause the oil to be a
problem, hence the identification of 'conductive' oils.

RTV, rubber and plastic is non-conductive. However, there ARE conductive
versions that have carbon powder, silver, in some cases gold dust in
them. There's enough material to make them electrically conductive. So
plastics and such that aren't conductive can be made conductive for
specific applications where it is needed.

Does that help any?

Alvin