[Techtalk] [OT] charging USB device without a PC

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Apr 11 10:01:54 EST 2003

Badly OT I know but...

Recently got a USB flash rom/mp3 player combo
(http://www.marx-computers.com).  Lovely _little_ device, 128Mb flash with
MP3 playing.  Uses a lithium battery that charges off the USB port.  Now,
I'm going away for a few days and it seems just _wrong_ to have to lug a
10kg PC with me just to charge a 30g mp3 player.  I have a 5Vdc charger
(from another device) and I'm just wondering if it would be fatal to the
USB device to attempt to charge it from that.  I can desolder a USB socket
from an old mobo and hook that up to the charger which can deliver up to
2.5A.  There are no drivers needed for the USB device so I presume it
limits the current it will draw by itself.

Thoughts anyone?

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)