[Techtalk] bash behaviour

Berenice showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 23:23:04 EST 2003

I'm working on my first bash script, which is meant display cpu,
video,network and sound card information onscreen (incl. below).  I
used 2 functions to do this (one for the cpu, and one for the cards).

At first it worked perfectly, but I had problems after I fiddled with
the if statements to try to improve it.  I added other commands that
didn't work, and although I removed them, my function doesn't work
properly anymore. Now it repeats all the contents of /proc/pci 3
times.  Can anyone explain why this happened?

Berenice

#!/bin/bash

cpu(){
 echo $(grep -i "$1" /proc/cpuinfo);
}

echo "CPU:"
cpu name
cpu vendor
cpu mhz
echo

cardinfo(){
 echo $(grep -i "$2" "$dir");
}

#problems started after I played with this
if test -f /proc/pci
then
 dir="/proc/pci"
 cardinfo ethernet