[Techtalk] Linux gateway + DHCP server setup?

Subba Rao subba9 at cablespeed.com
Fri Apr 4 20:15:39 EST 2003

On  0, Hamster <hamster at hamsternet.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Should the eth1 have a static IP address so that other systems on the
> > LAN know the gateway to the Internet?
>
> Yes
>

> > Are there any routes to be added for a dhcp environment?
>
> Not usually no.
>
> > Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
> > --------------------------------------
>
> You have to edit the file /etc/default/dhcp
>
> and have the line:
>
> INTERFACES="eth1"

Thank you for replying.  This helped a lot! Now I have my DHCP server
running and the clients are getting their IP addresses.

One other question is, how do you configure the DHCP Server running on
eth1, to serve clients with multiple interfaces?  For example, all my
clients have 2 interfaces (eth0 and eth1).  I can configure eth0 to get
the address from the DHCP server.  How do you tell the DHCP server to
give a different subnet address to the dhclient request for eth1?

Thank you once again.

--
Subba Rao
subba9 at cablespeed.com