[Techtalk] Linux gateway + DHCP server setup?

Subba Rao subba9 at cablespeed.com
Wed Apr 2 18:46:37 EST 2003

Hi,

My system is running Debian 3.0 (Woody) Linux.

I use this Linux system as the gateway for my home LAN.  It has 2 interfaces
eth0 and eth1.
	eth0 - Uses DHCP to connect to the ISP
	eth1 - Uses static IP address (10.10.10.10)

Now I want to switch the home LAN to DHCP environment. I have a few questions
about the setup.

Should the eth1 have a static IP address so that other systems on the LAN know
the gateway to the Internet?

Are there any routes to be added for a dhcp environment?

When I run "dhcp3 -d" I get the following message:
--------------------------------------
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.1rc9
Copyright 1995-2001 Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

No subnet declaration for eth1 (10.10.10.10).
** Ignoring requests on eth1.  If this is not what
   you want, please write a subnet declaration
   in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
   to which interface eth1 is attached. **

Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
--------------------------------------

Do I have to shutdown the eth1 and then start dhcp3?  The /etc/network/
directory has some files with the IP address (hardcoded) for eth1. Do I have
to make manual changes for the eth1 interface?

I want the other systems sending dhclient requests to get an IP address and use
eth1 on the Debian system as the gateway to the Internet.

Thank you in advance for any help.

PS - My /etc/dhcpd.conf is listed below.

--
Subba Rao
subba9 at cablespeed.com

--------------------------------------
option domain-name "test-lan.home.com";
option domain-name-servers dns.test-lan.home.com;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

subnet 10.10.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 10.10.10.1 10.10.10.75;
  option broadcast-address 10.10.10.255;
  option routers dns.test-lan.home.com;
}