[Techtalk] The /. effect

Diggy Bell diggy at dbsoftdev.com
Mon Sep 30 18:57:29 EST 2002

Michelle,

Just a thought, but is there any way that you might be able to segment out
the portion of your site that contains the Slashdot-worthy content?  That
would give you a lot of options with regard to segmenting and throttling the
traffic if you hosted the Slashdot portion on a second machine.  It's a bit
of a brute force approach, but you could take advantage of redirects to go
so far as mirror that portion of your site at different locations.

The benefit here is that you have an option that will let you completely
segment the traffic 'just in case' you have a bandwidth problem or server
load.  If necessary, you can throttle that machine back to a limited number
of server processes without impacting the remainder of your site.  On the
downside, this all depends on the database contents.  If the data can be
'published' to a database to drive these pages, you should be able to easily
make everything work.  If the data can't be published, you'd have to
consider some sort of database synchronization which can get a little messy.
And again, if the bandwidth becomes the issue, you can push some of the
demand out to mirrored servers if you can find somebody to give you some
temporary space.

I know there are more elegant solutions, but I'm sittin' here with the old
flannel shirt on with the sleeves rolled up so this was a quick-n-dirty. ;)

William D. 'Diggy' Bell
Principal
DB Software Development
http://www.dbsoftdev.com