[Techtalk] Cooking Kernels

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Tue Sep 24 13:21:21 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-22 at 12:51, Conor Daly wrote:

> Two little somethings I came up with while looking around my fs:
>
> 1. /lib/modules/2.4.7-10     is 23.0Mb  # Stock RH kernel
>    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10-amd is  1.9Mb  # My custom kernel
>
> The stock RH kernels _appear_ to come with all[0] the modules so it works
> with most hardware.
Yep, I had independently come up with the same conclusion, but pulling
that specific configuration file, dropping it in the linux source
directory and looking at it with xconfig.

In so doing, I have determined that the modules I need are already
compiled in or exist on my machine as LKMs (Loadable Kernel Modules),
and hurray, I don't need to compile a new kernel!  Thanks for all that
help! A few insmods and off I go.

regards,
Beth
--