[Techtalk] Starting X windows problem

lain iwakura eva_00 at juno.com
Mon Sep 23 08:27:16 EST 2002

Hey everyone,

In my sys admin class, we had to install redhat 7.3 onto a rebuilt 200
MHz state-of-the-art pc. :p  The video card is Trident 9680 2 MB (I know
it's old...but we have to work with what we've been given!) and the
driver for the card was apparently faulty with the distro, as everyone in
my class cannot start X Windows, and when we attempted to startx the
screen goes blank and...well, cold boot.

We used a trident_drv.o (provided by XFree86.org) to remedied this
problem, and most of us got our X Windows working great.  We chose the
lowest resolution settings so no computer monitor will blows up.  My
group on the other hand, even with the same patch, when we startx it is
extremely slow loading the graphics up.  Another problem is that, even
after changing the run level to 5, it still proceeds to give us level 3
login.  We have to manually type startx after logging in before it brings
up the Gnome desktop.  When we log out we return to level 3 login prompt
once again, with various error messages on terminating X windows
abnormally.

We have tried different methods to remedy this, and so far none has
worked.  Very strange since all of us have the exact same type of video
cards.

Any suggestion is welcomed.  Thanks in advanced.

--lain

If you think either me or Serial Experiment Lain is just plain weird, you
should read some works of Ted Nelson and Vannevar Bush and John C. Lilly
on Xanadu...they thought of mentally synching with the Wired in the
1930-50s!  Another grave reminder that philosophy and computer science
should NOT mix...ESPECIALLY when LSD is involved.--Quantum Smurf