[Techtalk] PCI, IRQ, and Raid

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Mon Sep 23 09:59:12 EST 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> To copy the contents of a /proc file into another file, you need to do
> something like
>
> 	cat /proc/foo > other.file

There's also `lspci` which will probably reside in /sbin/lspci

When you run it without any arguments it gives quite a nicely formatted
list with various bits of pertinent information

>From left to right it lists:

PCI id
the id the device has been assigned in your machine.  It's listed as
busid:deviceid.functionid and the host bridge will always be 00:00.0

Device class
What class of device this particular thing falls into, this is mostly for
the benefit of plug and play so that things get an idea of what sort of
driver is likely to be needed.

Company that built it
er .. who made it :)  every manufacturer has their own id, eg intel
managed to get 0x8086 :)

What it is
erm, heh

Revision number
This is listed in brackets, and will say something like "(rev 01)"

> I am a bit confused about how this is all relevant to installating a
> four drive RAID setup, but I am guessing you have stepped back a bit and
> adopted a more holistic approach.

hmmm

drivers?

drivers are good.

they ... drive stuff

> > This (making a list)seems to me the first step in fixing the machine.
> > The bus (including AGP) is reading only two of the six slots correctly
> > empty slots show non-existant 10-100 cards. The AMI bios looks to be
> > reading it correctly.

uhm

You can't tell what slot a device is in ...

It's a bus, things just appear in it, you can't really tell where they are
as such (well, you can, but you can't)

> I don't think I have heard of a case of /proc/pci getting things wildly
> wrong, but that could be because I am leading a sheltered life or
> something (Jeff Dike or somebody will now pop up and point out that it
> is as common as dirt). :-)

I have never come across it at all either, fwiw

Good luck

Maria