[Techtalk] PCI, IRQ, and Raid

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 23 02:45:16 EST 2002

Hi People,

	A few weeks ago I was triing to put together a 4 dr raid. I was not
sucessful. I was annoyed, I could at that time ask the "right"
questions. So I went and studied the matter. I am putting together a
list of what is actually in the box and what the software thinks is there.

	As root in a terminal window, in "/proc/", while attempting to copy the
content of the file "PCI"... I could read it or "view" it using
MidnightCommander, BUT was unable to copy it. It would open as a blank
page in a text-editor(gedit).It would open as a blank page when I
selected edit in MC. Again as 'view" it would show a list (totally
wrong) of PCI devices.In edit or copy it shows blank/empty/file.

	Do I need to look someplace else?  Where? Whay can't it (/proc/pci/) be
copied?

		This (making a list)seems to me the first step in fixing the machine. The
bus (including AGP) is reading only two of the six slots correctly empty
slots show non-existant 10-100 cards. The AMI bios looks to be reading
it correctly.

	In the next few days I should get the newest CD 8.0 to 8.2 Mandrake. Is
it likely the new software will fix this??

	Andrew