[Techtalk] Over-zealous spam filtering (by Raven's ISP?)

L J Laubenheimer ljl at rahul.net
Sun Sep 22 21:57:20 EST 2002

Whoppo wrote:
> I'm absolutely amazed at the amount of effort is being put into this
> thread. There are a LOT of people from whom we do not accept email..We
> have our own reasons for this, which I think have been explained in
> fairly easy to understand terms. Since we started rejecting mail from
> domains that have delivered virtually NOTHING but spam to us we have
> actually been able to deal with our legitimate email without wasting our
> time and resources. Out of thousands and thousands of blocked messages,
> we have rejected TWO... JUST TWO in error. and the only one offended to
> date appears to be a contributor to this list.
>
> Raven has been a member of this list since I've known her and until just
> a few minutes ago was one of the admins of this list. As I'm typing
> this, she is un-subscribing herself and relinquishing her admin rights..
> Why? My guess is that she's had enough of this... her contributions to
> this list and the time she spends helping its administration should not
> make her a target for abusive commentary because of the way we deal with
> unwanted email.

I read this as Raven saying: "I can't handle differences of opinion or
criticism of my choice of autoresponse.  Therefore, I'm going to unsub in a
huff and find someone who won't dare disagree with me."

If that's your attitude (you & Raven's, that is), my opinion (and mine alone,
not "all of linuxchix") is: don't let the figurative door hit you in the ass
on the way out.

The fact is, people feel strongly on both sides of this issue.  I personally
would not have been offended by the "shitlist" bounce message, but I would
find the snail mail requirement noxious.

Yes, absolutely, it's your server!  Do as you please!  But don't go off in a
wounded martyr's huff when some people find your message impolite or
offensive, and know damn well spammer scum will never see it.

Actions have consequences, and you can't please everyone.

Sheesh!

					Linda
--
Linda J Laubenheimer - UNIX Geek, Sysadmin, Bibliophile and Iconoclast
http://www.modusvarious.com/ - consultants available