LinuxChix as a whole (Re: [Techtalk] Over-zealous spam filtering (by Raven's ISP?))

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Sep 23 12:32:29 EST 2002

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002, Raven Brooke wrote:
> I am sorry that LinuxChix as a whole has deemed itself the judge of my
> administration of my own servers. I have been very glad to participate
> in the give and take of these lsits, happily vonlunteered my time to
> tend to administrative tasks on more than one of them, and been
> standing by from the beginning to assist with any web chores that
> needed doing.  Unortunately, the name-calling and abuse I have put up
> with the past few days with regard to what is essentially none of your
> business is unpleasant enough to cause me to withdraw. The internet is
> too big and too full of fruitful linux/technical/programming
> discussion to put up with this treatment.

I'm not sure what you meant by "LinuxChix as a whole", but to clarify:

The "policies of 'LinuxChix as a whole'" in the sense of "policies for
participating in our mailing lists" are currently listed in the List
Policy FAQ at http://www.linuxchix.org/content/docs/faqs/policy.html

I am the author of this, which is why I post :)

LinuxChix itself uses the Realtime Blackhole List, if subscribers happen
to be RBLed then they can't post. They'll also be bounced from
postmaster at linuxchix.org I *think*.

Jenn has said that it is a natural consequence of Australia having very
few upstream providers that if anyone chooses to block, for example
.*.(com|net).au, or even .*.(bigpond|optus).*.au then they have blocked
LinuxChix. This might prove to be a problem if a large ISP does so.

This is the extent, as far as I can tell, that LinuxChix in so far as it
is an entity, has commented. Everything else is "some subset of
LinuxChix subscribers" commenting. Of course, there reaches a point
where a subset is sufficiently large that people feel that it is more
trouble to deal with or ignore that subset than it is to participate in
the group as a whole, people are free to make this decision themselves.

I have Cc-ed Raven and the volunteers list with this post, I suggest
that people remove those Ccs if they reply. If you want to contact the
volunteers list with regard to the server's anti-spam policies (which are
currently: non-subscriber posts are held for approval, and the RBL)
please start a new thread.

Thanks,

Mary