[Techtalk] Cooking Kernels--?s Lead to Answers and More ?s

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Sun Sep 22 12:07:18 EST 2002

So, what is being said is that when one installs a system from a disk,
say the Red Hat 7.3 disks, then the kernel that is installed is a very
generic kernel (which is why you can just update with the stock distro
releases) and that any config* file that I find in my /boot directory is
something I can use to roll my own.  How does this configuration differ
from what would come up if I just do a "make xconfig"?  Or doesn't it
until I actually do my first custom kernel?  I feel I'm teetering here
on the brink of enlightenment.  How does the new kernel I update with
when I download one from Red Hat know that I need X driver for my
network card or Y for my sound, since it obviously doesn't take the
"shotgun" approach and have everything compiled as modules)?  Do I sound
like a kid asking science questions yet?  %-}  Does it all work for me
because I happen to have fairly standard hardware and everything I need
is either compiled into the kernel or as modules by default?  %-}

Also, what was unsaid, that I really do need to know a lot about what I
am doing or I could leave out important stuff (but that's not likely if
I don't uncheck anything) or have too much stuff that I'm never going to
use (which is more likely).

So I copy config-2.4.18-10 to .config in the source directory.
If I'm using xconfig does the option to Load Configuration From File do
the same as "make oldconfig" as Malcolm mentioned?

Thanks to Dave and Malcolm!
regards,
Beth
--