[Techtalk] Conspiracy

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Sep 21 20:36:24 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 21:56, Andrew wrote:
> Hi All,
> 	I know this is a basic processbut it has thawarted me for months.
>
> 	I simply want to up-grade my software from Mndrk8.0 to Mndrk8.2. Rpmdrake
> and urpmi don't work for me, All i see is packages errors,errors or
> already installed. I can't figure what I am doing wrong. SO here I am...
> 	I have a directory named "NewStuff" (Unique name huh?) NewStuff is full
> of RPM's downloaded from a Mndrk mirror. I downloaded the whole
> directory of Mndrk 8.2.(I did this last night by ftp for the 10th time.)
> I also dwnld the iso images, but believe they were courupted in transit.

Usually, there is an *.md5sums file in the same directory which contains
the MD5 checksums of all the ISO files (at least with Red Hat). You can
run "md5sum *.iso" to get the checksums and compare against that file to
be sure here.

> 	What simple thing am I not doing??? Guess that is a hard
> question.**Better question is how to proceed from here. I got the RMPs
> (Not source). Do I use rpm them one at a time?*** That will be a while.

Yes. Usually the simple route is to use the upgrade option of your
distro's installer. If you really know what you do and want to keep
everything under control, you can use "rpm -Fvh ..." to "freshen" your
packages, but this is only for people who know how to help themselves
when rpm complains about missing dependencies, conflicts etc., i.e. not
for the faint-hearted. Usually this also takes longer than upgrading
with the distro-installer.

> 	For the first time Rpmdrake did not freeze (Maybe it is the new cpu?) I
> got to the point where Rpmdrake asked for the CD's... but they are 8.0
> and I thought on three occations I gave the path to "NewStuff". Each
> time as path to source "NewStuff" is typed in it disapears "poof!". I
> removed CD's a source and poof they return in the list. Root or user
> neither makes a difference.
> 	Help Please....

My advice:

- Check that the ISOs are indeed transferred correctly (md5sum)
- Burn them on CD
- Check that the CDs are burnt correctly. With Red Hat, you can just
give "linux mediacheck" at the boot prompt of the installation CD, I
don't know whether you can do this with Mandrake as well. If not, you
can md5sum the burnt CD like this and compare this with the *.md5sums
file:

[insert cd]
dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 | md5sum -

- Upgrade your system with the installation CDs

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647