[Techtalk] Icon editor

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Thu Sep 19 10:01:39 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 09:52, Dan Richter wrote:
> I've noticed that Mozilla supports supports a [LINK REL="shortcut icon"]
> feature which is becomming more popular on web sites (especially the
> open-source savvy sites). This file inevitably ends in .ico, suggesting
> that it is the kind used on Windows.
>
> Can anyone suggest an image editor that can write icon files? Note: I'm
> sure someone is going to say "Gimp", but in that case please give me
> specific instructions on converting from some other format to icon, because
> I'm not familiar with the Gimp.

hi Dan,

i remember having fun and games getting my favicon.ico to work on my
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk site. i think what i ended up doing was
creating the icon as a png or jpg, then using xv to convert it to bmp
format. after a little google searching i found that apparently .ico is
just a renamed bmp - so i renamed favicon.bmp to favicon.ico .... and i
think that worked! otherwise i havent found any gnu/linux tools that
will convert to .ico itself as its a proprietary windows format, but in
windoze itself (ugh ;-) i use ircanview.

hth

iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

 _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email