[Techtalk] KDE 3 help

mc mcgonzalez at att.net
Wed Sep 18 21:09:44 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 16:52, Andrew wrote:
> mc wrote:
> > Greetings all!
>
> 	I am at this moment working with Mandrake 8.2 and I do not see in the
> package KDE 3. I do see Kde 2.2.2.. What you want to do  is before the
> machine gets to choosing either...
>
> 	Method 1. I think though you want the Mandrake Splash Screen or sign-up
> screen, the place you seclect the user and use the password. It comes on
> just after X lights up. In that screen You can pick your default and go
> with any manager you (she) have installed.
> 	Method 2. If necessary start again with the install (CD 1) and  select
> UPGRADE not new install and select a preference there.
> 	Method 3. Use the command line. But for a new user that is a troublesome
> route. In a terminal window, I have used MidnightComander (mc) many
> times.You can type mc imediately when first in the command line and move
> to the needed directory or,,, Usually I move (cd) to the directory I
> need to be in then type "mc". It has been an execelent way for me to
> learn what is in directories or files, without any chance of screwing
> them up.It clearly shows which things are files and which are
> directories. I use the "view" button to see inside a file prior to using
> "edit". That way I can avoid changing something accidentally. "View"
> lets me look around and be sure of what needs changing in complete saftey.
>
> 	Andrew

Thanks!  I guess I just figured it was the latest and greatest KDE :)

I tried having her choose gnome at the login screen, but it continued to
go into KDE even when she chose gnome.  I may send her to Ximian anyway
for their version of gnome.

She is calling the customer support in the morning, because x froze on
her twice while we were trying to get the new desktop set up and the
sound card is not working, even though the modules are loading.  So
there might be something wrong with the machine.  Once we know the
hardware is OK, we are going to go back to work on the desktop.

I am pretty jazzed though.  She spent the day clicking on menus and
such, found mozilla and set up her email and newsgroups, found a couple
of other things.  She seems to be liking it.  Another convert!

--
mc
I haven't lost my mind,