[Techtalk] Drop in replacement for Ingres Database?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue Sep 17 21:09:13 EST 2002

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:31:10PM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Michelle Murrain thought:
> At 1:41 PM -0700 9/13/02, L J Laubenheimer wrote:
> >I believe that PosgreSQL is scalable to large table sizes, although
> >I don't know about UIs (Kylix? as a front end dev platform?).  I
> >hope this helps...
>
> Postgres is supposed to be scalable, although I can't say that for
> sure, since I've not implemented a database of nearly that size. I
> think it is a fairly kick-ass dbms, and from what I've read on the
> postgres lists, there are many folks using it for enterprise-sized
> databases. (I still have yet to figure out why MySQL is more
> popular...)
>
> Postgres is a bit weak on the UIs, though (nothing like PHPMyAdmin
> out there that I've seen, although I've heard tell someone's working
> on one - check sourceforge). There is pgaccess - the X front end for
> postgres, which isn't bad (haven't used it that much). However, the
> text-based monitor, and the various command line tools are actually
> quite well done, and make it easy to interface with the database as
> an administrator.

Hmm, a few "no"s for Oracle here, a whole lot more "no"s for Oracle from
the ILUG (Irish LUG) list.  I've even had approaches from a few Irish
(linux) companies offering "port and support" packages for postgres and
mysql!  Since we _have_ to sign up with Ingres for at least 3 years, I'll
have time to properly research a solution.  I'm very strongly in favour of
going to an Open Source DBMS _if_ I can come up with one that
Just Works(tm) in the same way that the current Ingres one does.  I'm a
strong advocate of Open source at work and am consequently regarded as
something of a nut.  However, _I_ will get to choose which DBMS we end up
using and _my_ name will be dragged through the mud if the choice is a
failure.  Therefore, I'm planning for this to be a flagship OS application
(the DBMS is already the flagship application of my department) for the
company and I want to be sure it's right.

Thanks for the advice.  Expect queries on the subject over the next few #
months...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)