[Techtalk] Tell me I'm dreaming

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Wed Sep 18 03:20:38 EST 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Maria Blackmore wrote:

> If there's anything I've been a bit fuzzy on or want to ask anything
> about, please feel free to email me privately or on the list :)

Oops :)

I just remembered something that I've forgotten :)

You will need to make sure that all the 802.11b stuff that you buy has the
ability to connect to an external antenna, and check before you buy that
you can get little tails for those connectors to turn them into something
more conventional that you can connect to the antenna (PCMCIA cards in
particular always have insanely small coax connectors).  The instructions
on building the antenna should give you a little more information on where
to find the appropriate connectors for it, and the cable from.  If there
are any gaps give me or google a shout :)

Oh, btw, if you're getting hold of cables, you might want to think about
getting them premade by someone if you only want half a dozen of them,
they're a real PITA to make unless you're kitted out to do lots of them
(or buy the stuff to do lots but only use it 6 times).  Once again, let me
know if it turns out that you do need help making the cables, but I would
get them premade if I were you. Oh, and make sure the centre pin is
soldered, it might not sound like much but you will thank me later :)

have fun

Maria