[Techtalk] Tell me I'm dreaming

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Tue Sep 17 22:40:54 EST 2002

hi Jenn,

you're not dreaming! (now you need to pinch yourself ;-)...

this is exactly what we're doing in the uk at www.consume.net - there's
lots of info on the site there that will help... its also worth looking
at www.ackers.org.uk . what you'll need is to build an antenna - at
least for the most central house, that would be the best place to locate
your 'access point' and have the ADSL. as long as the other houses are
within line of sight to the antenna, they'll pick it up. a range of
750m-1km is very easy to acheive - 3km is quite normal! (depending of
course on the materials you build your antenna from)...

you can build an aerial very cheaply out of a dog food or Pringles can!
the ackers site shows you how to do this. you can also get pigtails to
connect to the antenna fairly cheaply - i'm doing this and i'm very much
on a budget! it takes a bit of study, i'm lucky in that Consume is a
very community-oriented group and we have meets once a month to work on
building aerials, etc - you might be able to find a local group near you
that has similiar activities.

good luck - let us know how you get on!

bw

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

 _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email