[Techtalk] DSL modem

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Sep 16 19:11:33 EST 2002

On Monday 16 September 2002 12:24 pm, Dave North wrote:

> Hmm. We have the Westell with the swooshy red paintbrushy W logo, and see
> something similar. What happens is, slowly but surely the connection will
> degrade, eventually dying if we wait long enough.

This is what happened with my original modem, which some people say is
actually a bridge- it's not even a real router, and it certainly is not a
modem. The connection would fade, then die. Power cycling did not always
work, it often took several tries.

> 	I don't think this is the modem at all. I traced the situation a
> couple of times, and what it boiled down to was an overloaded router on
> the other end.
> 	<snip>

That's quite possible.

> 	The workaround is simple though: we put a timer on the modem that
> turns it off for three minutes in the middle of every night.
> 	Since then, no problems. The theory might be right or wrong, but
> the patient has been cured.

An easy cheap fix to try- I like it.

After reading all the responses, I'm more inclined to think the problem lies
somewhere upstream.

--
Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing