[Techtalk] Sending floppy disks thru the mail

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sun Sep 15 23:04:54 EST 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 05:04:43PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Maria Blackmore thought:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Arashi wrote:
>
> > I live in Japan and my lecturer in Australia requested us to submit our
> > scripts on floppy as well as on paper.  I have a hard plastic case to put
> > the floppy in but those anti-magnetic bags seem to be non-existent in Tokyo.
>
> The easiest way to do this would be to use a couple of squares of thin
> sheet steel and put one on either side of the disk.  I imagine you would
> be able to find some sort of place that will let you have some offcuts or
> something, given how common steel is :)

Um, you know how we're talking here about floppy disks that use _magnetic_
storage and about shielding them by using steel which is itself a
_magnetic_ (ok, magnetisable) material, won't the steel just focus any
magnetic field and, especially if there are surface imperfections, maybe
increase the risk of damage?

Anyway, AIUI, the X-ray machines don't generate magnetic fields so that
shouldn't be a problem at all.

Conor (not really sure...)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)