[Techtalk] no gateway, yet it works!

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Thu Sep 12 09:29:57 EST 2002

Carla Schroder wrote:
>OK, here's a fun lil mystery. Nowhere can I find a gateway setting on my home
>network- I have a little Linksys NAT firewall box. The gateway is
>192.168.1.1, how original, but none of the client PCs have a gateway assigned
>to them. I've looked in every config file I can find:
>-redhat-config-network, the GUI configurator
>-/etc/sysconfig/network- empty
>
>ifconfig shows no gateway. so why does it work? I have Internet and DHCP and
>everything, how in de hell do the client PCs find the Linksys box???

Is the router running DHCP (i.e., is it assigning
the IP addresses to the computers on your
network) or is your linux box?

If any of your client PCs are running windows,
you can run winipcfg or ipconfig to show gateway
and other ip information. Somebody else already
mentioned the linux way. (route -n)

To set the default gateway for my client PCs
via DHCP from my redhat box, I have this
line in my /etc/dhcpd.conf file:

option routers 10.0.0.1;

But if your linksys is providing the DHCP,
you will probably have to configure it to
tell your network that it is the gateway;
and I have never used a linksys router.

Walt

-~

     Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with
     its own corrections.  You can keep your sterile truth for yourself.
                         Vilfredo Pareto