[Techtalk] Learning Perl!!!!

Wed Sep 11 21:43:20 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 21:15, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> >2) What is the big fuss about 'foobar'? what is it exactly in Linux?
> >Does it have any significance (like /dev/null)? I seen it being also
> >used in Learning Perl book.
>
> it's just an example - it means nothing. I think the use of 'foo' and
> 'bar' started in C?

The term foobar comes from the term fubar. It was used by American
marines during the Vietnam war, when they were ambushed by the Vietcon.
It means Fucked Up Beyond Any Recognition. Can be used to describe the
state of program, hardware etc. and of course for variables :)

/cdan
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

Carsten Dan <mail at cdan.dk> --- http://cdan.dk
GPG public key at http://www.keyserver.net
(Outlook-users: http://www.winpt.org/gpgoe.html)