[Techtalk] Segmentation faults

mc mcgonzalez at att.net
Wed Sep 11 12:13:49 EST 2002

Resent to list, messed up the first time.

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 07:59, Maria Blackmore wrote:

> This really does sound rather like a hardware problem to me, probably
> memory problem, could well be a CPU problem.
>
> You can use memtest86 to test the memory, this is something that
starts at
> boot time in place of an operating system and will test the whole
memory
> for errors, it may take some time.  You can either start it from lilo
(or
> other boot loader), or you should be able to make it into a boot disk
and
> test it from there.

Thanks!  I remembered about memtest after sending this email and
downloaded it and ran it twice.  It didn't find anything, but I took a
stroll through the bios and reset the memory timing to automatic (never
have a Windows gamer set up your machines, they tweak too much <g>).
When I rebooted after that, things seemed a bit more stable, time will
tell.

> hmm .. this could be a corrupted RPM database, as for what caused this
I'm
> not sure.  I would still suspect that hardware failure is the most
likely.

I had tried to rebuild the db prior to fixing the memory problem, but it
also segfaulted :(  After resetting the bios, I was able to run rpm
-rebuilddb without errors which then let me unistall and reinstall
Opera.  It is now running, no problems so far (knock on wood).  So I
think they might have been related.

Thanks for the help!

--
mc