[Techtalk] Learning Perl!!!!

kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net
Wed Sep 11 16:10:17 EST 2002

Hi Larry Walls and Randal Schwartzs, I hope at least someone has started
with the Perl thingie. I have already started and am facing some problems.
Anyone would like to lend a helping hand please...

1) While using "use stricts" it says 'can't find the strict.pm.' Where can
I get this pm file and how can I embed it in my Perl?

2) What is the big fuss about 'foobar'? what is it exactly in Linux? Does
it have any significance (like /dev/null)? I seen it being also used in
Learning Perl book.

3) And I am having some trouble with the problem in section 2.2.1.1 in Page
23 of Picking up Perl pdf. I don't understand why they are using " ' '
"  and then " "" " sort of alternatively. So far I learned that single
quotes are used when we don't want to interpret anything and keep it as it
is and double-quotes are used for interpolation. But I am not getting this
one. The answer comes out same no matter which quote rule you follow. I
have used single and double quotes both consistently and alternatively. It
doesn't make any difference in the program.

And finally how's it going with you guys? I have started today and gave it
two hours including doing this mail and a short lunch break. I have
completed till page 24, took loads of notes. I am digesting it all slowly.
More practice is needed. I will resume tomorrow again.

Ciao, Ken.