[Techtalk] gnome, nautilus, sawfish & metacity???

Erin Raasch eraasch at chorus.net
Mon Sep 9 17:37:41 EST 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 07:05, Rebecca J. Walter wrote:

> You are using SuSE.  How did you update to GNOME2?  Did you have to
> force anything?  When I switched my SuSE 8.0 to GNOME2, I had to force
> sawfish2.  I am not really sure if you can have 1.4 and 2 running
> side-by-side if you installed wiht the RPMs off the SuSE FTP server. Was
> there something in the README about that?  (I am trying to remember and
> failing)  I haven't tried to run 1.4 since I installed 2....

I downloaded the SuSE RPMs and installed them from the command line.  I had no
problems, and didn't have to force anything.  The following is from the SuSE
Gnome 2.0 Read-me file:

**
If GNOME 1.x and GNOME 2.0 should be used side by side,
it is highly recommended to update your GNOME 1.x
packages to the latest SuSE packages.
**

Download all the base packages and install them.
After installation, SuSEconfig must be run.

You will also need to install the FAM package and enable
the fam-Daemon in the current runlevel (this can be done via the YaST2
Runlevel-Editor). Nautilus will use FAM for filesystem-notification.
**

OK - before sending this, I just wanted to check things out - and apparently I
do not have sawfish2 installed - it reports conflicts with sawfish-1.0.1-87.
I even dug up my scrap of paper on which I had kept a checklist, and I've got
it checked off - must have been a brain blip after installing umpteen
packages.

I guess it's back to the drawing board (or terminal) to do some more research
and troubleshooting.

Erin