[Techtalk] 802.11b antenae

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Mon Sep 9 12:07:20 EST 2002

On 9 Sep 2002, E. Sterling Wall wrote:

> OK, so, following on from the recent discussion, I'm dying to know...
> where can you find an antena to put on your PCMCIA card for wireless
> networking? Are people just rigging up a copper wire and taping it to
> the part of the card that sticks out, or what?

Hi,

you just need an antenna suitable for the 2.4 GHz band, there are very
many of them about, and a quick google for "802.11b antenna" has returned
many likely looking hits, and of course there's
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html :) if you're feeling
adventurous

the trick to it is getting hold of something that will let you plug the
antenna into your PCMCIA card, which isn't always possible.  When it is
available it invariably consists of an extremely tiny coax socket, which
is very fiddly.  You ought to ask about this at the time you buy the
antenna, because there is no gaurantee that it will connect to your card.

have fun :)

Maria