[Techtalk] gnome, nautilus, sawfish & metacity???

Erin Raasch eraasch at chorus.net
Sun Sep 8 19:13:24 EST 2002

I've been running Gnome2 alongside Gnome1.4 on Suse 8.0, and  I've been
jumping back and forth between them quite a bit, trying to understand how
things work.  I've finally gotten more comfortable with Gnome2, now that I've
gotten it customized to my liking, but there are some things in Gnome1.4 that
I'm having problems with.

The first really isn't a problem, more of a curiosity - if I have sawfish set
as the windowmanager in 1.4 and metacity in 2, the gnome1.4 control center
reports metacity as the active windowmanager.  This is true whether I'm in
gnome2 with metacity running, or whether I'm gnome1.4 and sawfish is running.
I can (from the control center) switch to sawfish, which then changes gnome2
to sawfish, but I cannot change back to metacity from the control center - it
always times out.  Not a problem since I've learned how to use the command
line to do this, but interesting.

The second issue is the actual problem.  Twice now, when I've logged into
gnome1.4, nautilus has not started, and I haven't been able to start it
either from the (SuSE) menu or from the run command.  The first time this
happened, it just started up after about the fifth time I logged back in to
gnome1.4.  Now it has stopped running again, but I haven't been able to get
it going.  It's running fine in gnome2, BTW.  Has anyone experienced this, or
does someone have a clue as to why it happens or what I can do to get it
running again?

Thanks,

Erin Raasch