[Techtalk] Access and Samba

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Sep 7 08:24:51 EST 2002

Any brave souls out there try sharing an Access database via Samba? I have a
client who has a large number of custom order forms (Visual basic of course)
in Access. He is retiring his NT4 server, and replacing it with Linux. The
Linux box will be a domain controller, file server, and email server with
Postfix. (Firewall is a separate Snapgear box)

Someday down the road he may migrate to PostgreSQL or something similar, but
for now it has to be Access.

As there will be no Windows server, he wants to put the Access .mdb on the
Linux box, for the users on the Windows clients. Databases are tricky beasts,
will it work? I'm going to try it out on my test system, if anyone has real
experiences to share that would be very nice.

--
Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing