[Techtalk] Why is life without X important? (was: Re: info)

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Sat Sep 7 04:22:14 EST 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Carla Schroder wrote:

> Hey everyone, I thought I was speaking English- the topic was the format of
> man pages/ info pages/ etc. If you have another connected PC, you have access
> to all the information in the world.

Connected to what? the internet ... what if what you're doing affects or
is to fix local internet access?

> A laptop can hold entire libraries, for those situations where there
> is no Internet access. On my work notebook I have all the technical
> documentation I can collect, and I'm always adding more.

and I have a lot of dead tree documentation, plus various stuff on a
couple of CDs, but there's still things that I don't have access to, and
huge CDs full of documentation are little use without a search engine.
etc etc, I think I need to stop here, I'm way too tired

> These 'desert island' scenarios are unrealistic.

They're things that actually happened, and do happen.  Things go wrong all
the time .. eg outages that stop you from accessing the information you
need to help fix the outage.

All the things I talked about have happened to me, personally.

At the risk of sounding all scoutish, Be Prepared.
I also think you should also be aware of the fact that no matter how much
you have prepared, it's not going to be enough, there will always be
something that never occured to you would happen

Maria