[Techtalk] Kernel compilation problem

Jeannette jcv at hise.org
Fri Sep 6 12:49:56 EST 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Dave North wrote:

> > I made a backup of /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linuxold and put the
> > new kernel in /usr/src/linux
>
> Oops! There's the problem. Note what you add to Grub:

Thanks for picking up my slack, Dave! I was just reading to myself and
said, ok, he/she moved the kernel over to where it should be. I didn't
notice the specifics.

> In other news, I have built hundreds of kernels without copying either
> the system map or the initrd over; this may be a serious blunder of sorts
> (though it's my understanding the system map is only useful for debugging;
> maybe I'm wrong) and I just use the resident initrd (the one that was
> there all along) which works fine.

Well, I do have to do debugging, but I might just be moving System.map
over out of habit. I've always wondered about the fact that the name you
give it is completely irrelevant ....

On the second matter, I need to rebuild initrd for boot support, so that
is a personal issue, but it seems easier to me to tell someone to mkinitrd
and point to it (and the grub.conf file in question was pointing to one
...) than explain the specific cases where it is necessary, or have them
come back later and not be able to boot.

Jeannette