[Techtalk] Why is life without X important? (was: Re: info)

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Fri Sep 6 19:23:51 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 19:10, Caitlyn M. Martin wrote:

> Anyone who does serious systems administration needs to be able to live
> without X.  My examples are three of many.

It also doesn't hurt anyone else to have some clue how to function on
the command line.  Maybe it is your "trusty notebook" that suddely lost
X and you can't get to another computer.  Maybe your battery is dead and
you forgot the power cord at home.  Maybe it is someone who can only
afford one computer. (or one computer with X)  Maybe you are attempting
to get a job somewhere and they expect you do things on a computer
without X.

Personally, I have some trouble with man pages.  I usually start with
--help for an idea then go into the man page if I need more details.  If
there isn't a man page, I will try info.  But starting with --help
usually gives me an idea of what parts I need to find out.  Also
practice helps.  I am getting more and more fmiliar with the man page
notation and can more easily understand the stuff I need.

So, yes Carla, it is actually an issue for a lot of people.  Especially
if you ever change anything on your box.