[Techtalk] Kernel compilation problem

Jeannette jcv at hise.org
Fri Sep 6 05:33:43 EST 2002

I see two holes in what you said you did - maybe you just forgot to write
them down, though.

You also need to copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot/System.map (after
renaming the old one)

And, you need to make your own initrd image:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.19.img 2.4.19 (or 2.4.19-custom 'head
/usr/src/linux/Makefile' and look at the lines to see what your kernel
version was exactly)

Also, if you cut and pasted your  grub.conf, it looks like there is a
typo - put a space between initrd and /boot/initrd-2.4.19.img

HTH

Jeannette