info (was Re: [Techtalk] List help)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Sep 6 08:15:39 EST 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 06:40:21AM -0700, Poppy wrote:
> HTML formatted help is better, easier to read, and tends to be
> friendlier. I've occasionally downloaded new HOWTOs to update my HOWTO
> directory.

Webmin has a System Documentation module, which, while it doesn't seem
to pick up info documentation, does search man pages, package
documentation, webmin docs and perl module docs (and even google) for
what you're looking for.  It still helps if you know the command, but at
least it's in HTML.

Hmmmm.  I've just been messing around with it, and I'm dissappointed.
It didn't find something it ought to have (fsck).  Hmmm, well it would
help if I configured it properly, wouldn't it?

I have discovered something interesting -- man -H or man --html gives
HTML output!  It displays the manpage in lynx or in the browser defined
by $BROWSER.  So you can ignore everything I said about webmin, and go

BROWSER=mozilla man --html fsck

and it will display the manpage for fsck in your current browser window
if you, like me, tend to keep a mozilla running all the time.  Hmmm, it
wasn't so happy when I didn't have a mozilla running though.
Oh well, I can use w3m instead...

Kathryn Andersen