[Techtalk] 2nd networking question

BUNTER MATTHEW Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com
Tue Sep 3 08:11:00 EST 2002

--- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             03/09/02 08.11

>However, back to your problem, do either of the machines have any packet
>filtering on them at all, or indeed anything different from a plain
>vanilla setup?  What sort of network cards are they (from the point of
>view of drivers) and is there anything in between the two computers apart
>from a piece of network cable (anything at all, switch, hub, router,
>anything).  Also are there any other machines on the same network? are
>they having any problems?  eg a third machine exchanging traffic between
>the either of the two with the issues?

>> Matt (who is sorry it took so long for him to realise HE was one of the
>> ones top-posting)

>:)

>I wonder if I could ask you to indent quotes too, please.  With a > or |
>or similar, please?  thanks :)

>Maria
>meow

--------------------------

Hi,

No packet filtering, plain vanilla setup. Not sure what cards (I'm not the
admin) industrial strength since on Gigabit Ethernet though, yes lots
between the two computers that I was initially testing (one in France the
other in Sweden) but did the ping -1500 to lots of other computers with the
same prob. Ping -1470 works. Yes loads of other machines on the same network
(corporate) - several thousands of PCs, Unix boxen, VMS Alphas and two
mainframes. No problems to do with the pinging other than normal run of the
mill network issues because people are screwing around with their settings.

I am pretty convinced that there is something to do with ICMP and
fragmentation. When I have more time I'll investigate further.

Rgs,

Matt

  -> TECHTALK(a)LINUXCHIX.ORG