[Techtalk] Terminal Services

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Sun Sep 1 13:36:42 EST 2002

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Mohammad Shakir wrote:

> Actually we are using Windows2000 server with terminal services to enable
> our Graphics Terminal Users to log on Windows2000 server.
>
> I want to know there is any terminal services which act like windows
> terminal services in linux ?

Hi,

From which point of view is this?

Is this from windows users connecting to a linux server, or from linux
users connecting to a windows server?

For windows users connecting to a linux server, you can either use an X
"server" that runs on the client machines and run programs on the server
that send their output to it to be displayed, or you can use VNC and
setup VNC virtual X servers on the server which programs display to and
then the users on the client machines run a VNC viewer to connect to one
of the VNC servers on the server.

This is rather confused by the fact that an Xserver is a program that
displays stuff for X at a client workstation, and Xclients are programs
that may themselves run on a compute server and send their output to an
Xserver that is running on a client.  It makes my brain melt trying to
think of a way to describe it adequately :)

One of the better X servers that runs on windows is eXceed, which is quite
good, but costs money.  There are a couple of other free ones but I can't
remember their names at the moment, I'm sure a little research would turn
them up though.  Also, it is possible to run XFree86 under windows, but I
have no idea how to achieve this, I've just been told it can be done.

For linux users needing to connect to a windows server, you can use
rdesktop, which is an RDP client for linux that will connect to a windows
2000 terminal server.

VNC can be found here: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

rdesktop can be found here: http://www.rdesktop.org/

Hummingbird Exceed can be found