[Techtalk] Open Standard for Video Streaming

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Thu Oct 31 11:25:08 EST 2002

At 10/31/02 02:10 AM , Alvin Goats wrote:

>In a study performed in the early 1980's, it was found
>that the life sciences (botany, biology, zoology, medicine, et al) had
>the least amount of religious believers. That includes christian,
>budhist, jew, muslim, hindu and whatever else.

Really? Does that include Pagans? But this is just a side issue; the main
point is below.

>90 percent (at that time) were atheist or agnostic and had ethics of less
>than honorable quality.

So, did this study (which you might want to provide a specific citation
for, rather than just "a study performed in the early 1980's") check on
whether people had a religion, or whether they had ethics? If it claimed to
have checked whether the people had ethics, what was its methodology?

I hope it wasn't as transparent and flawed as those "honesty tests" that
have become common in the employment and hiring process at some firms --
you know, the ones that everyone knows you have to lie on to give the
answer the company wants if you want to get the job? The ones that
systematically weed out the people that are actually honest enough to admit
to their occasional desires to do something not-completely-honest?

What I'm really wondering, though, is this: did this "study" specifically
claim to have tested people's ethics, or did it just report on what their
declared religion was, and you went ahead assumed that only religious
people are ethical?

>On the flip side, the AIP (American Institute of Physics) polled ALL the
>members of the physics community, physics students, physics teachers,
>professors, physicists in industry and military.

Again, do you have a citation or reference on this? What was the
methodology? Was this "poll" done at the same time as the "study" you
mention earlier, and in the same manner? Or are we comparing apples and
oranges?

Honestly, this whole thing sounds like the kind of bogus "statistics" that
are actually made up out of thin air by Fundamentalists and Dittoheads to
support their own agendas: indoctrinating everyone into the views of the
Religious Right. It has the "feel" of those tactics most often employed by
such folks in order to bamboozle intelligent left-wingers: mention a
"study", "survey", or "poll", thus making it sound like it's the result of
some actual scientific research.

Note, Alvin, I'm not saying that I think *you* made this up. I mean that I
suspect perhaps someone else did, and you got taken in by it.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"But every night I burn,/Every night I call your name.
  Every night I burn,/Every night I fall again..."
                                                 --The Cure,
                                                  "Burn"