[Techtalk] Wanted: Help in New Mexico

Diggy Bell diggy at dbsoftdev.com
Tue Oct 29 13:57:54 EST 2002

There have been some really good suggestions in here, but one is missing...
We've been using stuff like Ximian Red Carpet to make things easier for the
non-technical person.  Ok, I admit, I've even used it myself when I'm lazy.
:-P  Given all of the troubles that can arise with RPM installs and
dependencies, it's a lot simpler for the end user to use something like Red
Carpet.  If she's also an Outlook (blech!) user, something like Evolution
would make her transition a bit smoother.

As far as distro's go, I'm pretty firmly in the Red Hat camp myself, but my
girlfriend uses Mandrake (pre-9.0) and loves it.  My main motivation for RH
is that there are simply more people aware of it in case someone needs help
downstream and I'm not around.  The chances are that someone can find a
local RH user just about anywhere these days.  If nothing else, the Linux
Counter may be a good resource for finding people in the local area.

BTW...greetings to West Seattle from SeaTac. :-P

Diggy