[Techtalk] NFS and NIS issues: RH 8.0

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Mon Oct 28 18:26:25 EST 2002

Hi, everyone,

I have a Red Hat Linux 8.0 box called otto -- the one I wrote about
before that seems to bind just fine to the NIS server (Solaris 8) but
then can't authenticate via NIS and seems to not stay bound.  I still
have no idea why that is happening.

I'm also having an NFS issue.  I'm getting an RPC timeout when I try to
NFS mount a drive on that system.  Yes, the portmapper and nfs dameons
are running.  The appropriate line is in /etc/exports for *(rw)
read/write.  The whole subnet is permitted to use the portmapper in
/etc/hosts.allow.

Looking at the log on the box I can see:

Oct 28 17:22:35 otto rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
romana.rateintegration.com for /share (/share)

so it looks like the mount request is getting through to the new box and
that it's authenticating correctly.

Clues?

Thanks,
Caity the clueless