[Techtalk] spamassassin

kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net
Mon Oct 28 13:04:40 EST 2002

On Sunday 27 October 2002 16:22, Mary wrote:
> Unless you're using KMail itself to download the mail (eg as a POP
> client), rather than getting KMail to read the mail spool. In this case
> KMail is the first thing on your machine to touch the mail. I gather
> this is the case for Kenny. However, Meredydd's link describes how KMail
> itself can call external programs, specifically SpamAssassin, which
> means that even if KMail is the program downloading the messages, which
> means local MTAs and procmail are bypassed, you can still use
> SpamAssassin.
>
> -Mary

Thanks everyone for the help. Well, I use a dial-up connection. K-mail gets
the mails directly from my ISPs POP3 server. For each user there is a folder
created in their home named: /Mail. All the mails K-mail gets are stored in
there.

I am not sure whether mails first hit "/var/spool/mail/usrname" though. Seems
like that place is used by localhost for internal mails (logwatch etc.).

So the bottom line is: I should setup spamassassin with procmail the way it is
being described and then link it to K-mail? And it won't cause any problem as
procmail will get the mail and spam-check it before KMail. Or is there
anything else?

Oh, where's that marydd's page? Any URL please?

Best regards,
Kenny.