[Techtalk] Make the Red Hat HCL more usable. was: 1394 firewire card?

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Oct 27 18:08:04 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 21:16, Walt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any recommendations on a good firewire card
> that works with Linux (RH)? RedHat's HCL
> doesn't show a specific supported card for the
> manufacturer (D-Link) that I'm looking at...

The HCL doesn't help you quid for recent hardware unless the specific
product is certified by us (or some kind soul reports a specific device
as working, this gets labeled as "community knowledge" -- few people do
that). Some vendors want to certify their products, some don't. Usually
I look into the kernel-source for that (i.e. su to root, go to the
source tree, "make menuconfig") and look what specific chipset is
supported. For scanners, I look at the SANE homepage
(www.mostang.com/sane). Kinda clumsy, yes but usually successful.

So I request you all to go to http://www.redhat.com/support/hardware ,
look whether the hardware you have is listed and if not (or the listing
has errors), please submit how well it works (what you had to do to get
it working) at http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=community .

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647