[Techtalk] df isn't accurate?

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Fri Oct 25 11:39:08 EST 2002

I just ran into this weird problem ... logging into my courier imapd and
trying to move messages, etc., I'd get this error that it was out of
disk space ... but when I ran df, I'd see that there was 200+ MB of disk
left.  After trying a few things, I actually did end up deleting a bunch
of stuff and, lo and behold, courier started working okay again.

Does df not accurately report free space information?  Because it's
courier and uses maildirs there are tons of small files (as in several
hundred thousand).

Thanks!

Jen