[Techtalk] Auto install of Linux and

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Fri Oct 25 15:10:27 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:27:27PM -0700, Nguyen D. Nguyen wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know of a way to do an auto (without
> user intervention) installation of Linux (RedHat in particular)?

Kickstart is your friend. It's designed for this.

> Second question is, how do I build a Linux image/kernel that
> can be auto installed in any PC (where the PCs can have
> different hw (one pc might have scsi drive for boot device,
> while another might have ide,  different video card, etc)
> configuration?

You need a kernel that has every possibility built into it (or, at least
avilable as modules).

> Lastly,  I would like to do the auto install to PCs via network
> and as back up install method, use CDROM for installation.

Using kickstart, you can do an install in any of the fashions that
normal Red Hat installs occur. In particular, you can use NFS, HTTP or
FTP to transfer the data.

> I saw something call "kickstart"  but I haven't figure out how
> to use it or find detail doc on it yet.

Try

   http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/.

In particular, have a look at chapter 6 for the kickstart instructions.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.